Drunken Sweet Potatoes
That is why we always had Key Lime Pie instead of pecan or pumpkin. The key to this recipe is Orange Juice and Jack Daniels.
- 5 large sweet potatoes (these vary in size so much, I generally get a little extra and then just fill the casserole dish and get rid of the rest)
- 1 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon/Sugar shaker
- Two sticks of butter
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- Shot Glass of Jack Daniels
- Mini Marshmellows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil a large pot of water
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. The size depends on the consistency you want. Small cook quicker but the final product will be more of a puree.
- In a saucepan, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon/sugar, and Jack Daniels and cook on medium low. Stir very frequently. The goal of this is to create a syrupy sauce that is one consistency.
- Boil the potatoes in the large pot till you can easily stick a fork in a chunk. Again, if you boil till very soft it will be more of a puree.
- Drain the potatoes well and dump in a 9x13 casserole dish. Fill about 2/3 of the way and put rest to side.
- Salt the potatoes
- Pour some of the syrup on the top and fold into the potatoes with a spatula. While mixing, work to get the consistency you want. Do this repeatedly to taste. This really depends on how sweet you like your potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Top with mini marshmellows and put under broil BRIEFLY to brown them.